Monday, March 22, 2010

Heart, Soul and Hunger - My new Health Quest begins!

I need an extra dab of motivation to keep me on my health quest - ok maybe an armload full, so I'm blogging about it! I am trying out vegan food, raw food, vegetarian food, and overall wellness in my life. It means more fruit, vegetables, calcium, iron, fresh air, biking and overal de-stressing.

So here's my quest: everyday to document my meals and then improve on it, so my food the next day is healthier than the day before.

New substitutions, better ingredients, more raw and more creative ways to add freshness and health.

I am obsessed with raw food, although, I'll be honest, i haven't prepared that much of it. I don't know why I have been putting it off. I read food blogs constantly and am fascinated by the INCREDIBLE raw recipes out there. Some of my favorite sites right now: Kristen's Raw, Ani Phyo, Oh She Glows, OneLuckyDuck's Sarma Raw Blog, Rawesome, Julie's Raw Ambition.

These are all incredibly beautifuly examples to me of raw food ambition. Each has taken raw cooking to another level that is unique and beautiful to them. I am truly blown away at their creations and their honesty (especially Sarma right now. Thank you thank you for your incredibly honest blog posts!)

So back to my mission - today's food, and how to improve for next time!

Todays food:

6:30am
Oatmeal crisp with apple and pear
- add flax seeds, and make this more substantial - more bulk foods like banana, raw apple, hemp seeds or a nut butter to go with this. Oh she glows gives great advice

6:30 am
latte - bad all around, but its my addiction - if I ever throw coffee, it will be a miracle. I did **think** about having a big blueberry spinach banana smoothie this morning *anticipating my new blender!!! so maybe another time. I could at least use oat or hemp milk though

10am
small cup of tomato soup Pacific Food brand - have raw or fresh soup rather than boxed.
4 mary's crackers - yum - ok nothing wrong here right??
3 Tbs - hummus/cashew cheese spread -I added cashew butter to make it creamier - maybe added fat for no reason?
cucumber slices- excellent - just double the amount, and try carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes and cauliflower as well

Lunch 12:30
Amazing Asian stuffed peppers with kale and bok choy - I had a healthy serving of greens - 3 leaves of kale and some bok choy. Pretty darn good.

Next time use BROWN or WILD RICE or Quinoa!!

Damn - I always catch myself! There is always a way to do it differently. I think lentils would work too, now that I think about it.

1:30
small cup of chilli - vegan chilli. It was incredible!! oh c'mon i don't know how to improve on amazing chilli - i even added chocolat nibs to it. perhaps lentils could have gone in as well...

1:30
1 latte - with milk again. Time to have MATCHA in the afternoon, or another form of green tea (chocolate matcha looks devine to me).

5:30
3 slices white bread - with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

BAD. No excuses. I was hungry and I felt desperate because there is so much of it in the fridge- and someone's gotta eat it!

6:30:
1 cup squash cashew alfredo, with pasta. OK ok the refined, professed white flour here is very bad. Next time rice pasta, white beans (canelloni??) or a whole wheat pasta version - at least!

2 glasses water

8pm
glass of red wine

10:30
stolen bite of a scone....

11pm
chopped tomato with lemon juice, cilantro and basil. Holy cow this is an amazing combination. But it is much too late to eat.

What's up next
marinated mushrooms to go with my cashew cheese
stuffed zucciini

Eggplant Bacon
'Roasted' tomato soup

Anything from Rawmazing....wow!!

Thank you to Sarma, for being an inspiration! I will let you know how tomorrow goes, and post links to all of these great sites where I'm getting my inspiration :)
xo Anna

No comments: